Sunday, April 28, 2013

Our First Family Trip

So we just got back from our first family trip up in North Carolina!  All in all, I have to say the trip went very well with having a 3 month old.  We were there for 10 days and it was AMAZING!  So relaxing and enjoyable :o)




I mean, how could you not love such a naturally BEAUTIFUL place?!  This Florida girl was in love with all of the mountains and the weather! Yes, I do love the beach and being out on the boat during the summer, but I looooove the fact that it was a high of 65 during the day and absolutely NO humidity (and so did my hair)!

I have to admit, I was fairly nervous traveling such a long distance with a 3 month old.  On the way up we stopped at our family's hunt camp which is about 5 miles before the FL/GA border.  It's so nice to be able to break up the trip so it doesn't seem as long!  We decided that night that whatever time Hunter woke up to eat we would leave and get on the road.  He woke up at 1:30 and we were on the road a few short minutes later!  It was the absolute BEST way to travel!  He slept practically the whole time and woke up when we were 10 minutes out from the cabin!

We had only been at the cabin for about 30 minutes when my husband started putting on his hunting gear to go out in the mountains and try to bag himself a big 'ol turkey!  My husband literally dreams about hunting in his sleep.  If it were legal, I'm pretty sure he would spend every second of the day hunting!  He didn't have any luck the first day, but the second day he did.

He fired a celebratory shot in the front yard and we all came out running to see what he got.  This is him carrying the big bird up the hill with a big grin on his face :o)



Needless to say, the bird was huge (and DELICIOUS)!  We actually ended up eating almost the entire turkey while we were up there! LoL  

After Tony bagged the bird he was able to relax and enjoy his vacation :o)  In the mornings we would sit out on the front porch with our coffee and enjoy the quiet of the mountains.


And at night we would sit inside in front of the roaring firing which kept us nice and toasty!


Right down the road from the cabin is the historic Glen Choga Lodge.



It was built back in the 1930's where it used to be right off of the North Carolina Turnpike and a hotspot for vacationers.  After they re-routed the road the lodge became isolated.  It's a beautiful piece of history and I love being able to go there and visit!






After a visit to the lodge we decided to go fishing.






And then we had a picnic beside a creek.


We had so much fun on this trip and we can't wait to go back when Hunter is a little bit older so he can enjoy it a little bit more :o)

Here are some more random pictures from our trip.






4 comments:

  1. You guys are such a cute little family!! Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Kristin! You have quite the adorable little family as well :o) We did have sooo much fun! I'm sure you guys will have a great trip coming up as well! I definitely recommend traveling at night! It stinks for the driver, but definitely worth it if the babe sleeps the whole trip ;o) LoL

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks amazing!! And that turkey, yum yum yum, a million times better than the frozen ones, I'm hoping the hubs brings home one this year again! Looks like you guys had an awesome time!! Xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Jessica ...seriously that turkey was out of this world!!! My husband has a way of grilling meat to perfection! Our chicken, turkey and deer are never dry or tough ...always tender and juicy! :o) One thing I didn't mention (because this post was already ridiculously long) was that Tony caught a trout and some fingerling fish, which were also delicious!! But I'm not a huge fish fan because no matter how much you try to pick the bones my mouth WILL ALWAYS FIND ONE!!! LoL We did have such a good time though! You guys seriously need to come with us one time! I need to meet my new BFF and the hubs needs a hunting buddy ;o) LoL Love ya!

      Delete