Thursday, August 15, 2013

Homemade Baby Food ...Organic Deliciousness!!!

I absolutely could not wait for my little guy to turn 6 months old so we could try solid foods with him!  At first he wasn't too fond of solid food.  He didn't hate it, but he didn't love it.  So we only gave it to him occasionally.  I think the main thing is finding out what food and textures your baby likes.  I would introduce a new food to him every week and after about 2-3 weeks we found out what little mr likes LOVES to eat!

His favorites so far are avocados (a boy after my own heart), sweet potatoes, bananas, applesauce and peaches.  You definitely need to be careful with bananas and applesauce because they're very "binding" and your little one will get their first case of constipation ...like my little guy did :o(  LESSON LEARNED!!  Now I only give him bananas and applesauce once a week and I always mix it with another fruit like peaches or prunes.  Here's a nifty tip ...pretty much any fruit that starts with a 'P' will help keep your little one "regular".  So if you find that your baby is a little "backed up" feed them fruits that start with 'P' for a few days and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and that should get them back on track ;o)  Because we all know that a constipated baby IS NOT a happy baby! LoL

Ok, enough of that ...lets get down to business!



Today I spent the first part of my morning making some delicious organic baby food for Hunter!  I made peaches, plums and avocados.


Avocados are SUPER easy to make and are also a great first food for your baby!  All I do is cut up 2 avocados and put it in my magic bullet (any food processor/blender will do) and add a little bit of water.  


Then blend until smooth and creamy (adding more water if necessary).


My little taste tester was in the kitchen with me while I was making his food.


Judging by his "avocado stache" I'd say he likes it ;o) LoL

Now all you have to do is transfer it into an ice cube tray and freeze for about an hour.


Now the peaches and plums will take a little bit longer because you have to cook them.  Cut your peaches and plums in half and take the pits out.  Lay them face down on a baking sheet with an inch of water and bake them in the oven at 400° until you see the skin start to pucker (about 40 min).

(PS ...Your house will smell AMAZING after baking these yummy fruits!!  BONUS!!!)

After they're done baking, I cut each piece into 1/4 and put it in the bullet with a little bit of water.


Then blend until smooth and creamy (adding more water if necessary).


Delicious peach puree!  Seriously, this tastes amazing ...I might just make some for myself later ;o) LoL

Again, transfer into ice cube trays and freeze.


(the one plum only made 6 cubes, so if you want to make more, I would buy more than one plum)


After you're done freezing you can move them into a tupperware container and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months.  Any length of time after that and your food won't have any of the good nutrients that your baby needs.  They recommend trying to use up your frozen baby food within 1 month (which isn't a problem for us the way that my kid loves his food!) to get the most nutritional value out of your food.

See, I told ya it was easy!  Now you have your very own homemade delicious baby food!  

So stop wasting your money on expensive glass jars and packages of baby food and go out and make some yourself! :o)  I hope you guys are having a fantastic week so far and Happy Friday Eve!







4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!! I'm so big info organic food and saying no to GMO's. I'm going to use this for when my daughter starts solids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! We're the same way at our house! Very organic and no GMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through the breastfeeding diaries! Love that you make your son his food, we did the same for our daughter! She is now 14 months!

    wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are helpful tips! enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete