Thursday, May 23, 2013

Got Milk?

My little guy will be 5 months (did I just say 5 months?!) on the first of June! Since before I even became pregnant I always knew that I wanted to breastfeed my baby.  Thankfully with an extremely supporting and loving husband, family and friends I was, and have been able to breastfeed with success!  Sure, we've had our rough spots and hiccups along the way, but each time something would happen I would consult this awesome book that my brother-in-law's wife got for me: The Nursing Mother's Companion (I call it the Bible for breastfeeding momma's!)


This book is WONDERFUL!!  Anytime I have an issue or a question about something I can look in this book and usually find the answer :o)

Another thing that I have found to be EXTREMELY helpful are the lactation supplements that I bought at Whole Foods.


A couple of weeks ago I had been noticing when I pumped that my supply was getting lower.  This pretty much freaked me out because my goal is to try and breastfeed Hunter until he is at least a year old and we're a loooong way from that.

So, I did some research online about what I could do to help boost my supply back up.  All of my research concluded that Fenugreek seed was the miracle herb that I needed.  So the next time I went to Whole Foods I looked for Fenugreek supplements.  They didn't have just straight Fenugreek, but they did have Lactation Support supplements that included Fenugreek and Red Raspberry Leaf which is really good for women in general.

You're supposed to take 1 pill 3 x's a day and preferably in between meals.  I started taking the pills and I could tell a difference instantly!  I felt fuller like I had back a few weeks ago and I knew that little pill was doing the trick!  When I pumped later that night, instead of the normal barely 3 oz I had been getting, I got more than 6 oz!

My research also told me about a strange side effect that you'll get from taking the supplements ...you will smell like maple syrup!  I told you it was weird, but completely TRUE!!!  After a day of taking the supplements I started smelling like maple syrup!  My husband said he can't smell it, so I guess I'm the only one that it really affects.  On another note, I've been craving pancakes for the past week ;o)

If any of you other breastfeeding momma's out there are worried about your supply and need a boost, this is the ticket!  Is there anything that you guys have tried and seems to work for you?  I'd love to know! 

I hope you all are having a great week and happy Friday eve!!

2 comments:

  1. Oatmeal with flax seeds, chia seeds and almonds helps. I eat it and I'm able to pump 9oz and and still feed my 3 month old. I only use organic ingredients. I also add chocolate chips for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also eat oatmeal in the morning with flax seed and blueberries. Do you grind the chia seeds or leave them whole? Chocolate does sound way more fun than blueberries!! I'll have to try that next time! :o) When and how often do you pump? Thanks for all the tips! And by the way, your litte girl is just adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete