Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Canvas Crafts

Ok, so life has been somewhat hectic and it's been a while since my last post.  But, I'm baaaaaaack now :o)

So, I hope all of you Momma's and Grandmomma's had a WONDERFUL Mother's Day!  I wanted to do something personalized and special for both of Hunter's Grandmomma's.  Two nights before Mother's Day I was lying awake unable to fall asleep (shocker) and started thinking of ideas for crafts that I could do as presents for my mom and mother-in-law.  I had remembered seeing a craft on Pinterest where you use a babies footprints as a heart and then I remembered that I had two blank canvases just sitting in the closet and waiting to be used.  My brain started working and I started getting excited ...and itching to get crafty!

Here's what I came up with :o)

 (Of course my obsession love of chevron played a part in this craft)

Here's what you're going to need for this craft:

  • 12x12 canvas
  • Sponge brush
  • Small pencil tipped paint brush
  • Painter's tape
  • Your choices of favorite acrylic based paint color
  • A super cute pair of baby feet :o)

What you'll want to do first is tape off the pattern of the background that you want.  You don't have to do a chevron pattern.  You could do stripes, squares, circles ...the possibilities are endless!


Taping off your pattern will be the longest/hardest part of this craft, but after this it's easy sailing :o)

After you've finished taping off your pattern take your sponge brush and paint over your canvas.



Allow the canvas to dry for about 5-10 minutes and then carefully remove the tape.


Now take your small pencil tipped brush and write your message.  I typed out my message in the fonts I wanted to use in Microsoft Word and then practiced painting it on a blank piece of paper a couple of times to make sure I liked the way it looked before I painted it on my canvas.



To make it extra special and customized I wrote the occasion and who the gift was from on the sides of the canvas.



**Disclaimer: This next part could get messy!!!**

Now go ahead and grab the cutest pair of baby feet you can find and dip them in paint!!  Make sure to have a few wet wipes handy for when you're done for quick and easy clean up ;o)



And now you have a beautiful and original customized piece of art!!

This is the first craft I've done since Hunter was born and I have to say that I forgot how much I LOVE to craft!!!  Now that I've gotten my creative juices flowing again, be on the lookout for more crafting posts ;o)













No comments:

Post a Comment